Rotary is a worldwide organization of more than 1.2 million business, professional, and community leaders. Members of Rotary clubs, known as Rotarians, provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world.
In each of more than 33,000 Rotary clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas, membership provides fellowship opportunities to all members. Rotary club membership represents a cross-section of the community's business and professional men and women. Clubs meet weekly and are nonpolitical, nonreligious, and open to all cultures, races, and creeds.
As signified by the motto Service Above Self, Rotary’s main objective is service — in the community, in the workplace, and throughout the world. Rotarians develop community service projects that address many of today's most critical issues, such as children at risk, poverty and hunger, the environment, illiteracy, and violence. They also support programs for youth, educational opportunities and international exchanges for students, teachers, and other professionals, and vocational and career development.
Although Rotary clubs develop autonomous service programs, all Rotarians worldwide are united in a campaign for the global eradication of polio. PolioPlus, the most ambitious program in Rotary’s history, is the volunteer arm of the global partnership dedicated to eradicating polio. For more than 20 years, Rotary has led the private sector in the global effort to rid the world of this crippling disease. Today, PolioPlus and its role in the initiative is recognized worldwide as a model of public-private cooperation in pursuit of a humanitarian goal.
Membership in a Rotary club offers a number of benefits including:
- In an increasingly complex world, Rotary maintains a simple philosophy - make friends in your own community and throughout the world.
- Through Rotary, service to local and overseas communities is well organized and rewarding. If you like helping others, here is your chance to do something worthwhile and make a real difference.
- Rotary is fun... a lot of fun. Every Rotary club and district arranges parties and activities that provide a welcome distraction to a hectic business life.
- Networking opportunities are endless. Rotary consists of a cross-section from every business community and its members come from all walks of life. Rotarians help each other and collectively help others.
- Membership of Rotary develops leadership, public speaking, social, business, personal and vocational skills as well as improving cultural awareness.
-Clubs organize programs and weekly meetings to keep members informed about what is going on in the community, the country, and the world. Each meeting provides an opportunity to listen to different speakers on a variety of current topics.
- Every Rotarian is welcome - even encouraged - to attend any of the 33,000 clubs in over 200 countries and geographical regions. This bond creates an instant friendship wherever you are in the world. Many a Rotarian in need of a local doctor, lawyer, hotel, dentist, or other expertise while travelling has found assistance through Rotary.